Shredding Services Washington, D.C.
Shredding Services in Washington, D.C.. Document destruction probably originated shortly after papyrus was invented in Egypt. In the present-day world, with so much of our personal information being archived, shredding services are imperative for hospitals, law firms, government agencies, or any entity that handles private information. Any business also needs to make sure their own data and that of their employees are protected. HITS's shredding services in Washington, D.C. can ensure that your documents are securely destroyed to whatever regulatory or compliance level needed. If you need shredding services in Washington, D.C., call HITS today at 314-837-4000 or contact us online for a free quote.
8 Reasons to Shred Your Documents | Washington, D.C. Shredding Services
Destroying documents with our shredding services can help your Washington, D.C. business save on cost and guard against liability. Below are eight of the most common reasons people come to HITS for our shredding services:
1. It Protects You From Identity Theft
Despite the fact that so much of our information is online these days, there are still lawbreakers searching through paper-filled refuse cans to locate personal information like addresses and credit card numbers. Any documents with personal information that are not needed anymore should be destroyed. Documents shredded by basic office shredders can still occasionally be put back together by hand or with specific software. Outsourcing to professional shredding services will ensure that the private information will not be at risk.
2. Compliance With the Law
Federal and state laws dictate that personal information such as financial records, medical records, pay stubs, and more be properly and securely discarded. A few of the laws that our shredding services will help you adhere to are:
3. It Saves Storage Space
Piles of superfluous paper can clutter your workplace, whether they're taking up room on a work surface, in drawers, or in a closet. Disordered workspaces cost companies $2.5 million annually in lost productivity. Utilizing HITS's shredding services in Washington, D.C. will permit you to put more important things in your office, like that new computer or a picture of your kids.
4. It Keeps Clients Happy
There has likely never been a greater emphasis on personal information than there is today. Employing shredding services for unneeded documents will shield you from liability and safeguard your reputation from suffering if anybody's personal information is compromised.
5. Good for the Environment
Paper makes up 25% of trash in landfills and 33% of municipal trash. When you use HITS's shredding services, the shredded paper is sent to be converted into recycled paper, decreasing the amount of trees that are chopped down.
6. It Reduces Fire Hazards
Paper, particularly stacked paper, provides fuel for fires and allows them to grow quickly. Disposing of large piles of paper will help protect your workers and your office.
7. It Saves Time
In-house document shredding takes time, with the mundane chores of taking out staples and paper clips and having you or an employee put the paper in the shredder individually. Outsourcing shredding services to HITS boosts your efficiency and can save you money.
8. You're Going Paperless
There are multiple advantages to going paperless, including a few of the reasons referred to above. HITS's patent-pending DocuMiner® application is a revolutionary method of transforming your data into secure servers. As we assist you with your transition, we'll securely shred your paper documents. If you're a healthcare provider, check out our one of a kind STR8VIEW® system for logging and accessing documents.
Whatever your motivations for getting cost-efficient and secure document destruction in Washington, D.C., HITS has you covered. Whether you require a one-time volume shred or ongoing shredding services, contact us online today.
Besides shredding services, some of the other services we provide in Washington, D.C. are:
- Government Solutions
- Paperless to Go
- Microfilm Scanning
- Blueprint Scanning
- Document Scanning
- Document Storage Solutions
- Data Migration
- Monitoring Strip Scanning
What Documents Should I Shred? | Washington, D.C. Shredding Services
Shredding documents sometimes has a negative connotation, but it is a key part of shielding any Washington, D.C. company and keeping it efficient. Some records can be shredded after a fairly period of time, while with others there are federal and state regulations that impel you to retain particular records for a specified number of years. Below are some of the records businesses generally need to shred:
- Company Tax Returns: The IRS can audit and amend your taxes between three to seven years from the year you filed for. After seven years, there is no reason to hold onto your return or relevant records.
- Employment Records: The IRS advises retaining employee tax records for four years; following those four years, there is no reason to keep them. OSHA and other overseeing bodies have conditions for how long you should hold onto HR records, but after that time frame has passed they should be destroyed.
- Bank and Credit Card Statements: It is typically recommended to shred these after a year, unless you require them for your tax returns.
- Customer Records: Trust your common sense for how long you need to hold onto these, for example, if there may be a refund in the future. Once they are not needed anymore they should be shredded. Anytime an account is closed, the documents should be destroyed immediately.
- Medical Records: HIPPA dictates different time limits for how long healthcare providers should hold onto records. Once that period is passed, they should be shredded as they not only include confidential medical information, but a Washington, D.C. patient's birth date, gender, and other identifying information.
Other services we offer in Washington, D.C. include:
Shredding Services in Washington, D.C. | HITS
We named our company after our values: Honor, Innovation, Teamwork, and Security. When you trust HITS for your shredding services in Washington, D.C., you are outsourcing to a team devoted to identifying the best data management solutions available. We have been industry leaders in data management for over two and a half decades and offer the highest level of customer care. If you need shredding services in Washington, D.C., call our headquarters today at 314-837-4000 or our D.C. office at 202-793-2400. You can also contact us online for a free quote.