HIPAA Compliant Document Shredding
HITS is a leader in document storage, destruction, and management. We specialize in HIPAA Compliant Document Shredding which is an important service for healthcare facilities. HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) is not only a federal law, but sets the national standard for patient confidentiality. Securing, managing, and destroying certain documents between multiple care facilities is not only essential, but required in the United States.
Passed in 1996, HIPAA is the standard for privacy and medical information management. This includes both electronic and non-electronic forms, patient information, and any other piece of material that might reveal the identity or medical condition of a patient. When the Privacy Rules are followed to the letter, patients shouldn't be at risk for having their personal information leaked.
Why is HIPAA Compliance Important?
There are a few reasons why HIPAA was put in place that primarily relate to insurance. See below:
- HIPAA is meant to help employees avoid medical discrimination -- especially when they change jobs or apply for one.
- Various insurance policies can easily be affected by both private and group plans. HIPAA prevents that information from going public.
- HIPAA is designed to reduce paperwork, improve efficiency, and encourage health organizations to adopt certain standards of professionalism and data transfer protocols.
HITS helps organizations, government agencies, and healthcare facilities manage documents within HIPAA compliance. We have various systems in place like STR8VIEW® that helps our clients handle documents safely, efficiently, and within compliance. Going paperless has it's own risks that we work to avoid.
Importance of Document Shredding and Storage
To begin with, document storage needs to be organized, maintained, and secure. Accessibility and getting the information your healthcare facility needs in a timely fashion is essential. Health organizations need to have comprehensive patient histories that allow professionals to make informed decision about a patient's diagnosis and a treatment plan.
Coordinating a patient's information between healthcare facilities is extremely important. This is especially crucial when you're dealing with HIPAA compliance, legal and auditing purposes, and organization. Document storage and management is also important for medical research and analysis, quality control, and disaster recovery. Most healthcare organizations and other businesses are at risk for data breaches.
HIPAA Compliant Document Shredding
Primarily, it's our goal to destroy and secure HIPAA compliant documents. Sensitive information -- patient information, Social Security numbers, and other data out there -- is important to keep secure. See below to learn more about HIPAA compliant document shredding services and secure document destruction:
- Data Privacy & Security: HIPAA mandates protecting patient health information (PHI). This includes document shredding, information destruction, and making sure data privacy systems are in place.
- Document Protocol: Healthcare facilities are required to have strict document policies and procedures in place. HITS can help organizations create guidelines that meet HIPAA standards.
- Document Shredding: To be HIPAA compliant, your facility will likely need to have a document partner like HITS to use cross-cut and micro-cut shredders. These techniques make it nearly impossible to reconstruct documents.
- Employee Training: It's important for healthcare facilities to know how to handle and manage sensitive information and patient records.
- Scheduled Document Destruction: It's important to have a routine when it comes to sensitive information. Paper (and digital) document shredding reduces the risk of unauthorized disclosure of medical information.
- Compliance Audits: Healthcare organizations often have to go through an audit to make sure they're following HIPAA regulations. Failure to meet HIPAA standards can result in fines and legal consequences for healthcare organizations.
HIPAA compliant document shredding is not only a cornerstone, but required for healthcare organizations and other health-related facilities. Contact HITS now to learn more about our services and how we can help.
Secure HIPAA Compliant Document Shredding
It's important for healthcare organizations and related entities to stay informed about the latest HIPAA guidelines and ensure that their document disposal practices align with the stipulated regulations to protect patients' privacy and avoid penalties. Call HITS now at 314-837-4000 to learn more about our services. We have been helping organizations with data management, destruction, and other essential security services for more than 25 years. We utilize innovative technologies that are tailored to your direct data needs. Contact us now to learn more about secure, HIPAA compliant document shredding.