Records Management Washington, DC
Records Management in Washington, DC. Records management is crucial for any Washington, DC enterprise to flourish. At HITS, we offer innovative and budget friendly solutions in Washington, DC for organizations that want to streamline their records management, increase efficiency, and ultimately improve profits. Call HITS today at 314-837-4000 or contact us online for a free quote.
In ISO 15489-1:2016, the International Organization for Standardization defines a "record" as "information created, received, and maintained as evidence and as an asset by an organization or person, in pursuit of legal obligations or in the transaction of business." ISO defines records management as the " field of management responsible for the efficient and systematic control of the creation, receipt, maintenance, use and disposition of records, including the processes for capturing and maintaining evidence of and information about business activities and transactions in the form of records." Basically, records include everything from billing info to medical records, to customer reviews and HR data, and records management is making sure those documents is securely and efficiently accessed, distributed, and used.
The Life Cycle of a Record
The life cycle of a record from creation to destruction was put into use by the United States National Archives in the 1930s, largely by Emmett J. Leahy, who was a pioneer in the discipline of records management. A record has four phases in its life cycle:
- Creation or Receipt — This can be the send or receipt of an email, the creation of any MS office or Google Drive documents such as spreadsheets, word docs, or presentations, the recording of a meeting or any other information your organization needs. Where the record is held and in what format is essential. Once a record is created or received, it becomes active.
- Distribution and Use — Distribution of a record can be both internal and external and can be company wide or between only two or three people. The record must be stored in a storage system that is able to be accessed efficiently while secure from people who should not have access. Records retention, the methods and practices an organization uses to decide what to keep, for how long, and in what storage system, is an essential part of the distribution and use part of the cycle.
- Storage and Maintenance — Some records may be disposed of after their initial use, while you may be required to keep others for years or even decades for your own records or regulatory compliance. If they do not need to be accessed regularly, it's best to keep them securely offline so as not to put unnecessary strain on your records management system.
- Disposition — When a record is no longer required for your operations or for compliance purposes, a decision must be made on whether it should be permanently archived or securely destroyed. If archived they can be held offsite or offline in case anyone wants to see them down the road. If destroyed, paper can be destroyed through shredding services and digit documents can be permanently deleted.
Every part of a life cycle is interrelated with the others, so it's important to have strict guidelines in place concerning how and where documents are stored, who is responsible for maintaining them, and who is allowed to have access.
Our Records Management Services in Washington, DC
We've been great records management systems for Washington, DC organizations for over 25 years. Our record management services include:
- STR8VIEW® — We help Washington, DC healthcare providers get rid of the stress of dealing with numerous legacy systems with our innovative, secure, cloud-based document management software. We even offer monitor strip scanning so fetal heart strips will not be at risk of being lost or damaged over the 28 years you're required to keep them.
- Scanning Services — We can scan many different types of documents that many other scanning services companies in Washington, DC simply can't, including:
Once we've scanned the document, we'll put it into the type of digital file that works best for you, such as Tiff, PDF, JPG, PNG, etc...
- Paperless to Go — More and more workers and employers are deciding to move to a remote workforce. We can transfer everything your team needs to work together, ensuring nothing is jeopardized or gets lost, into the records management system you've selected in Washington, DC.
- Data Migration — Whether you're moving from paper documentation to electronic, from on-premises to cloud, or just from one electronic document management system to one that better suits your needs, HITS has the skills to develop a custom data migration plan for you that has been proven to eliminate risk and improve ROI.
We utilize our proprietary DocuMiner® application to sort through your documents, scan what you need retained, and shred the ones you no longer need. With our secure destruction services in Washington, DC, you can be sure that your records are shredded to industry standards without the hassle of doing it in-house.
Benefits of Electronic Records Management in Washington, DC
Conducting a digital transformation and moving to an electronic or cloud based system improves your organization in countless ways. It's easier on the environment and makes your internal processes much more efficient.
Streamline Your Records Management
Document issues in the workplace waste a lot of time and money. Research indicates workers spend 1.8 hours per day, looking for information. With a modernized and user-friendly electronic records management platform, knowledge workers will be able to use and distribute information both internally and externally much more easily. New records can be automatically created and organized, and you can receive notifications when when it's time for a record's disposition.
With digital records management, large quantities of new documents won't be a problem, and everyone with access to a document will be able to see the most up-to-date version of it.
Safeguard Your Records and Increase Compliance
A Record on either a cloud or on-premises server is much safer than paper being stored on a shelf. Not only is the information less vulnerable to external threats, but you'll have complete control over which of your employees can access the information. We work to numerous overseeing security standards including:
- EU Model Clauses
- IRS 1075
- VPAT/Section 508
- EU-Data Protection
- Ethical Hack
- Safe Harbor
- Encryption in Transit
- Encryption at Rest
- Cloud Security Alliance
- Binding Corporate Rules
Your records will also not be prone to any disasters like floods, fires, or theft.
Reduced Storage Space
Office space in the United States costs $35 on average. That's a lot to spend on unnecessary bins, shelves, or cabinets. An uncluttered office also creates a more productive work environment for your employees'.
Other services we offer in Washington, DC include:
- Federal Records Management
- Government Document Management
- Secure Destruction Services
- Medical Records Management
- Cloud Migration
- Go Paperless
- Digital Transformation
- Scanning Services
- Document Management
Trust HITS for Your Records Management in Washington, DC
HITS isn't just a name, it's an acronym for our values: Honor, Innovation, Teamwork, and Security. We offer best-in-business, budget-friendly solutions for Washington, DC companies that want to streamline their records management processes, enhance efficiency, and be more productive. Our innovative and patent-pending applications will ensure that all of your records are transferred efficiently and securely. For the best records management in Washington, DC, call HITS today at 314-837-4000 or tell us about your needs online.